Hello Fellow Ruggers -
It's the very last day of 2014 and we hope that the past year treated you well, both on and off the pitch. Happy New Year to everyone in our Wisconsin rugby community! Let's see what's happening in rugby this week ...
FAVORITE RUGBY MEMORIES
We asked our WRFU members what stands out as some of the best rugby moments in 2014 for our Union. Here's what you shared:
- Continued growth of our Youth Tag Rugby programs
- Hosting the USA Rugby Senior Club National Championships in Madison, showcasing our state's strong rugby tradition
- USA vs. All Blacks in nearby Chicago (and the huge crowds of Wisconsin ruggers)
- The continued success of several Wisconsin teams on a regional and national stage, demonstrating that rugby is successful in the heartland and not just on the coasts. Specific examples included several undefeated seasons, Whitewater finishing second overall at nationals, and the Barbarians beating Metropolis in Division 1 league play.
- Hosting a Serevi 7s camp for both players and coaches featuring Ben Gollings and Justin Fitzpatrick, at a discounted rate for all WRFU members
- -One of our men's club players being featured on a video of a nice tackle on rugbydump.com. He was the one being tackled, but in his favor, his team were the big winners for that match.
Have another great memory to share? Be sure to let us know! And three cheers to an even better 2015 for all of our Wisconsin teams.
COACHING EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY
From our friends over the border in Minnesota:
Minnesota Youth Rugby will be teaming up with USA Rugby to offer a LEVEL 200 COACHING COURSE. To sign up visit: http://www.minnesotayouthrugby.com/level200
The course will be on Saturday January 17th, 2015
Check in will be at 7:45am
Clinic will run until approximately 5:00pm
Course will be held at the University of Minnesota Recreation and Wellness Center (123 Harvard St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455). We are currently working with USA Rugby to find out if any professional development credits will be offered for this course, please stay tuned for additional information.
**This event is open to anyone interested in coaching contact middle school age and older, please help spread the word**
GIRLS HS SELECTS UPDATE
A big update from our successful Girls High School rugby league:
The Select side program is beginning to take shape for 2015. Select 15's coach, Jeff Noe, would like to have two Select 15's teams this year. One team would go to Elkhart and one team would go to Pittsburgh. Those dates are tentative.
In addition our new Select 7's program is rounding into form. We would like to field two Select 7's teams. We will have an 8 team, one day tournament in early to mid July either in Madison or Milwaukee. MN has committed to bringing two teams, IA will bring one or two, IL will attend. We think IN and Maybe KS will bring a team or maybe OH. As we start this program we want to keep travel to a minimum. As the program grows there will be opportunities to travel to some high profile events if the interest is there.
In preparation for this we are looking into gym time for February and March. We would like to have 4 skills sessions open to anyone interested in playing select. These will most likely be held on Sunday afternoons (more to follow). The February sessions will be focused on ball skills and the March sessions will be focused on 15's strategy and tactics.
Attached is the tentative schedule for the Spring season.
Feb/March* Select skills sessions - TBD
March 6th High School Nashbash - Nashville, TN
April 11th-12th St Louis Ruggerfest - St. Louis, MO
April 25th-26th Midwest Championships - Elkhart, IN
May 2nd The Crusader Cup 7's - Catholic Memorial HS
May 16th-17th National Invitational Championship - Pittsburgh, PA
May 30th WGR State 7's Tournament - TBD
Early June WGR Fall Scheduling Meeting
June 13/14* Select 15's - Elkhart, IN
June 20/21* Select 15's - Pittsburgh, PA
June 27 Lakefront 7's - Milwaukee, WI
July 11 or 18* Select 7's - TBD
* Dates are not confirmed
WINTER TRAINING MOTIVATION
This week, we're sharing a video from rugbydump.com highlighting some big hits. Because if knocking the stuffing out of someone on the field doesn't motivate you in the gym, what will? Ha! Check out this link – "Aviva Premiership Biggest Hits of 2014." Have a great fitness or training resource to share? Let us know.
Have a great New Year's Eve tonight and we'll see you all in 2015!