April showers will soon be over for 2015 (in just a few hours) and May's flowers are already blooming. As are the playoff hopes of area teams in both 15s and 7s. Here's what's happening in our rugby community this week ...
Remember to check out the latest scores reported for matches played in Wisconsin here on the WRFU website.
Please visit the WRFU Referee Assignments to see these online. Here are this week's remaining assignments for the weekend and Monday evening.
- Kimberly FDL NEWHSB Mitch Uitenbroek Ref Coach: Blakeman 5:30
- Little Chute Appleton NEWHSB Steve Marvin 5:30
- WI Rapids Valley Crusaders NEWHSB James Highfield 5:30
- Whitefish Bay Marquette BHSB Justin Jaeger 5:30
- Middleton Nicolet BHSB Jake Winkler 5:30
- Grafton Muskego BHSB Jim Harrings 5:30
- LaFollette Elkhorn BHSB Erik Goetz 5:30
- Iron women 15s UW Eau Claire women Craig Heiptes - Wilson, Bryan Stephy, Xanthi Gerasimo Eau Claire
- FDL Fox Cities D3M Steve Marvin 1:00
- Crusader Cup 7s Catholic Memorial HS Dan Channen, John Waliszewski, Tom Schmitt, 8:00
- UW-Madison Prom Ball D1CW Ted Sibilsky, Emily Grambsch 1:00
- WRFC Lincoln Park D2M Brad Casetta Ars: Steve Midthun, Terry Godfrey
- College 7s D2/NSCRO Qualifier Marcus Dufrane, Erik Goetz, Brad Casetta, Jeff Kempen, Matt Bittner, Kevin Terpstra Cottege Grove
- GB Mavericks Marinette NEWHSB Mitch Uitenbroek 5:30
- DePere GB Leprechauns NEWHSB Brad Casetta 5:30
- Oregon/Stoughton Lake County BHSBD2 Erik Goetz 5:30
- Madison Westside Waukesha BHSBD2 Greg Faber 5:30
- Southern Lakes Sheboygan BHSBD2 Justin Jaeger 5:30
- Milwaukee Patriots PeppNation BHSBD2 Ted Sibilsky 5:30
- Kenosha St. Anthony's BHSBD2 Steve Midthun 5:30
The following teams in Wisconsin are entering playoffs and/or competing to qualify for Nationals in 15s or 7s. We'll share scores as the teams continue to progress.
High School Girls
DSHA has qualified for 15s Nationals. Other WI teams to be determined.
Milwaukee Scylla, Midwest D2 15s Playoff Match vs. Chicago Sirens, Milwaukee, Wis., May 9
Wisconsin Women, Midwest D2 15s Playoff Match vs. County Will Morrigans, Manhattan, Ill., May 9.
High School Boys
Pulaski Roos, Midwest Single School Championship (May 2-3).
UW-Madison, USA 7s D1A Nationals
UW-Whitewater, USA 7s D2 Nationals, other WI schools pending on wildcards earned at Upper Midwest 7s (see below under Matches to Watch)
Wisconsin Rugby Club, Midwest D2 Playoff Match vs. Lincoln Park, Cottage Grove, Wis., May 2
Green Bay Rugby Club, Milwaukee Barbarians, Midwest D3 Championships, Green Bay, Wis., May 9
BIG TEN 7s HONORS
Congratulations to the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Matoko Nedehou on earning Big Ten Rugby First Team 7s Honors this spring. UW-Madison also earned Honorable Mention honors by Hunter Crass, who is an alumni of Nicolet High School.
Additional congrats to Taylor Young, currently playing for Iowa, who is a Whitefish Bay alumni. Young was named to the Big Ten 7s Second Team.
MATCHES TO WATCH
Now that matches are filling up the calendar, we'll be highlighting matches of note. If you know of an upcoming match of interest, please let us know!
MEN – The Wisconsin Rugby Sports Complex will be a busy place this Saturday as it hosts both the Collegiate Men's Upper Midwest 7s and a Senior D2 15s playoff match between Wisconsin Rugby Club and Lincoln Park. More info on the Upper Midwest 7s can be found here (Facebook Event). Sounds like a great day of both forms of rugby!
Last Week's Men's Match to Watch – Wisconsin Rugby Club defeated visiting South Side Irish, 34-13, in a Midwest D2 Playoff seeding match to retain top honors.
WOMEN – We're keeping an eye on the Crusader Cup 7s tournament hosted by Catholic Memorial High School Girls for Saturday. The tournament is being held in honor of former rugger and nationally-renowned journalist James Foley who was killed in 2014.
Last Week's Women's Match to Watch – The UW-Milwaukee Women defeated UW-Madison 17-5 and UW-La Crosse 26-0 to sweep their collegiate women's round-robin last weekend.
PHOTO CREDIT: J. Johnson, Wisconsin Women's Rugby. Taken April 29, 2015 at the Wisconsin Rugby Sports Complex.